Many people have an auto insurance policy but may not know exactly what each of the coverages mean. If you find auto insurance to be somewhat complicated, you can read about the basic coverage types below. You will also discover how to initiate a competitive quote on your own and how to easily obtain the coverage that best fits your particular situation.
- Liability Coverage – If you are found to be at fault in an auto accident, your liability coverage applies to the bodily injury you caused, damage to the other party’s vehicle, or damage you caused to other property, such as a fence, lamp post or building. Liability coverage is often mandated by law and it is recommended you carry liability limits high enough to adequately protect your assets and future earnings.
- Medical Payments – This coverage generally pays for medical costs for you and your passengers who are injured in an auto accident, regardless of who is at fault in the accident. Medical payments coverage is known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in some states, so make sure you are aware of the differences and that you are covered adequately.
- Collision Coverage – Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another car or object, such as a tree or a bridge. This coverage can also apply if your covered auto flips over or if your vehicle is damaged by hitting a pothole.
- Comprehensive Coverage – Also referred to as Other Than Collision Coverage, reimburses you for loss due to theft, vandalism or damage caused by something other than a collision with another car or object. Although this coverage does not cover all events, it can apply to events such as fire, contact with a bird or animal, explosion, windstorm, hail, flood and damage due to falling objects.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage – With this coverage, you or a family member can be protected if one of you is hit by an uninsured driver or a driver who does not have enough insurance to pay for your total loss. Uninsured Motorist coverage may also provide protection if you are a victim of a hit-and-run accident, or if you are a pedestrian and are struck by an uninsured driver.
Now that you understand a little bit more about the different types of auto coverages available, you are probably ready to find the right policy at the right price. The best way to accomplish this is to work with an independent agency, such as Bixler Insurance Agency, who will help you find coverage to meet your situation at a competitive price.
You also have the opportunity to initiate a preliminary auto quote on your own. If you would like to enter your information and generate an online quote to compare the prices of multiple carriers, simply click on QUOTE IT! to get started.